Get A Free Consultation

Your Guide Through Michigan Spousal Support

Spousal support, also known as alimony or spousal maintenance, is not guaranteed when a couple separates or divorces. If you believe that you are entitled to either temporary or permanent spousal support or if you believe you may need to contest an obligation to pay spousal support, contact me. I provide comprehensive legal support and dedicated representation for men and women in or near Macomb County, Michigan.

Straightforward Answers To Your Questions

Confusion and myths tend to surround the idea of spousal support. Some believe they are entitled to receive it while others believe it is immoral to pay. As a dedicated family law lawyer, I am ready to listen closely to your concerns and to answer your questions honestly and directly.

Spousal support is an area of divorce or separation that most people simply do not understand. Unlike child support, there are neither legislated formulas nor regulated amounts that parties must pay or receive. Rather, courts grant spousal support on a case-by-case basis. The amount set is based upon consideration of 11 factors, including:

  • Length of marriage and ages of parties
  • Parties’ abilities to work and to pay
  • Source and amount of property awarded to parties
  • Parties’ past relations and conduct
  • Parties’ present situations, needs and health
  • General principles of equity

There are generally two kinds of spousal support: permanent and rehabilitative. Rehabilitative spousal support is temporarily granted as a fixed amount for a fixed period of time. Permanent is granted by the courts as a method of support for those ending a lengthy marriage and/or for those unable to provide for themselves.

Experienced In Cases Involving Contested Spousal Support

Spousal support is never guaranteed in Michigan. As an assertive attorney, I am readily able to represent your interests before the courts. In prejudgment or Post-Judgement matters, I will do everything possible to assist you with your divorce or separation matters. Contact me to schedule a free initial consultation. You can call The Law Offices of J. A. Hlywa, P.C. at 586-415-0093 and speak with me.

“Everything was explained to me completely. In a very tough time in my life, this experience was not nearly as bad as it could have been for me due to my excellent representation. I highly recommend Ms. Hlywa.” — Ali S., May 2007


“I was very happy with Julie. She represented me very well. I felt like she was very honest toward me and the Plaintiff. I never felt like Julie did not care about my case. I will use Julie in the future for any legal matters.”
— Andre’a N.
“You made the process as simple as possible for me, while taking care of something that was very serious and seemed it could be very involved.”
— Justin J.
“Julie, you went above and beyond in our circumstance and I am truly grateful for your services. Thank you for all you did.”
— Andrea M.
“I was pleasantly surprised several times on the efficiency and promptness of service! When I started wondering the status of my case, Julie was right on top of it every time.”
— Matt T.
“I want to thank you for helping me through a difficult time in my life. I always felt comfortable knowing you were on my side. I greatly appreciate all you have done for me.”
— Deanna W.